Monday 13 August 2012

Common English Errors



Some of the common English Errors in usage of English Language

If English is not the native language of the speaker and the speaker is making use of the language for some other purpose (be it for studies, job etc) then naturally there can be a few mistakes which will eventually creep in while speaking. We need not actually worry about them. Constant exposure to the language and a little practice will certainly help you speak English without any kind of grammatical or lexical errors. Let us now look at some commonEnglish errors and ways of correcting them.

I asked my mother for her advise (Wrong)

I asked my mother for her advice (Right)

My parents could not afford paying for my education (Wrong)

My parents could not afford to pay for my education (Right)

After a week we are going to Hyderabad (Wrong)
In a week’s time we are going to Hyderabad (Right)

Soon you’ll be of my age (Wrong)
Soon you’ll be my age (Right)

I am at the age of 22 (Wrong)
I am 22 years old (Right)

In the age of 18, you will get a driving license (Wrong)
At the age of 18, you will get a driving license (Right)

She spent all the journey talking about her husband (Wrong)
She spent the whole journey talking about her husband (Right)

As all you know, my name is Luqman Zakir (Wrong)
As you all know my name is Luqman Zakir (Right)

We all must try to find out a solution to the problem (Wrong)
We must all try to find a solution to the problem (Right)

It’s not allowed to talk in the library (Wrong)
You aren’t allowed to talk in the library (Right)

Walking along the road, a scorpion stung me (Wrong)
Walking along the road, I was stung by a scorpion (Right)

The war is not over already (Wrong)
The war is not over yet (Right)

The school has also a gymnasium (Wrong)
The school also has a gymnasium (Right)

The amount of crime have increased (Wrong)
The amount of crime has increased (Right)

He gave the class another homework (Wrong)
He gave the class some more homework (Right)

Other than these errors there are some miscellaneous errors that one commits. It is better to know about them and avoid them.

Mother tongue influence: This happens when we ‘think’ in Mother Tongue and ‘speak’ in English. We do a word to word translation of mother tongue into English and that puts us in amusing situations.

For example: Water is not coming in the taps (Wrong usage)
Taps run dry (Right usage)

There are many more errors such as dangling modifiers, errors with participles and many more. In order to realize these errors, you need to become familiar with the usage of English grammar. And if you would like to improve your English Grammar then you can have the option to learn English grammar by making use of any of the best online or offline way of learning English grammar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Really thanks for your time.... please, follow our blog....Thanks a million times again.